Flag of Russia

Flag of Russia

Ivan the terrible

Ivan the terrible

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Travelogue of my trip to Saint Basil's Cathedral, Moscow


Upon my visit to Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow, my breath was instantly taken away by it's beauty. The colorful domes shaped as onions are just one example of the outstanding architecture. There are 10 unique towers which are topped with this marvelous domes. The Byzantine influences are easily seen in this Russian cathedral. The cathedral is one of the grandest I have seen in my time, yet I cannot fully support it's building because Ivan the Terrible tried to show his absolutist power through this grand display of wealth. I have heard around the markets, that Ivan the Terrible even blinded the architects who worked on the cathedral to ensure they would never duplicate it's features! Surely, I cannot condone these cruelties. Nonetheless, Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow is certainly one of the greatest sights I've seen in my lifetime, and ever will.

No comments: